History of the luxury Budapest former known as the New York Café

FIVE STYLES HOTEL.

The eclectic building of the Boscolo Budapest was constructed between 1892 and 1894 by the architects Alajos Hauszmann, Flòris Korb and Kàlmàn Giergl, for the Hungarian offices of the New York Life Insurance Company, by transposing the old styles of Greek, Latin, Renaissance and Baroque together in prodigiously-creative Art Nouveau.

Alongside such poetic architecture there is contemporary restoration work, carried out by the architects Maurizio Papiri, Adam D. Tihany, Massimo Iosa Ghini and Simone Micheli, who worked on the development of the modern Boscolo Budapest.

The ground floor houses the historic New York Café, opened in 1894 by the Hungarian coffee baron Sandor Steuer, and is a place to meet the artistic and cultural life of the city of Budapest.

During the two world wars, the building underwent a period of decadence. In the mid-XX century, it opened its doors to guests once more, but it was only after attentive and scrupulous restoration work involving the whole building and lasting 5 years (2001-2006), by Boscolo Hotels, and in collaboration with Italy’s National Center for the Restoration and Reconstruction of Monuments, that a place of high artistic value and great social interest was returned to the city and to the entire world.