The Boscolo Budapest is housed in an eclectic building, built between 1892 and 1894 by architects Alajos Hauszmann, Flòris Korb and Kàlmàn Giergl, for the Hungarian offices of New York Life Insurance Company, where historical Greek, Latin, Renaissance and baroque styles are blended in a typically Art Nouveau creative structure.
After a period of decline during the two wars, its doors opened again halfway through 1900, but it is only thanks to the scrupulous restoration by Boscolo Hotels that the building has been returned to its ancient splendour. An operation that lasted 5 years (2001-2006) with the collaboration of the National Centre for the Restoration and Reconstruction of Monuments, signed off by architects Maurizio Papiri, Adam D. Tihany, Massimo Iosa Ghini and Simone Micheli, an architect of renowned international fame. This architectural masterwork of high artistic esteem and great social interest - so much so that it is currently protected by the Belle Arti (Fine Arts) – was therefore returned not only to the city, but to the entire world. On the ground floor we find the famous New York Café, opened in 1894 by the Hungarian coffee industrialist Sandor Steuer, a privileged meeting place for the city's artistic and cultural life.